Also known as Baldur or Baldr in Norse mythology, Balder was a noble, gentle and yet powerful god. Much loved by all, he was son of Odin and Frigg.
Reminiscent of Achilles, Balder was invulnerable to harm, except by the mistletoe. He was mistakenly killed by the blind god Hodur, who’d been duped by the trickster Loki into piercing him with a dart crafted from mistletoe.
The roots of the his name are somewhat unclear. Wikipedia has a good discussion here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baldr#Name.
- Norway returned to worship pagan gods like Odin and Balder (ivarfjeld.com)
- When did gods become immortal, infallable and immaterial? (richarddawkins.net)
- Odin The All Father (theasatrucommunity.wordpress.com)
- Ásatrú (ayearandadaywicca.wordpress.com)
- Odin Part 1 (theasatrucommunity.wordpress.com)
- ‘Loki’s Wolves’ is coming in May (eyeblinkfiction.wordpress.com)