Civilization and its Discontents is an important work written in 1929 (after WWI) by Sigmund Freud in which he proposes a “death instinct” (thanatos) said to exist on both personal and cultural levels.
Freud says tensions arise between personal, instinctual desires their cultural repression. And realizing that mankind is capable of mass destruction, Freud suggests that not only individuals but subcultures and even entire societies can be neurotic.
This might all seem pretty obvious today but in his time, Freud was groundbreaking.
- The psychoanalysis of ruins (3ammagazine.com)
- The Happiness Equation (andrewsullivan.thedailybeast.com)
- Cathexis (earthpages.wordpress.com)
- Self Preservation vs. Social Anxiety (kweschn.wordpress.com)
- Gerel Sorbee Human beings have “no difficulty in exterminating one another to the last man (lissakr11humanelife.wordpress.com)
- Sense from nonsense (hieronymousdotnet.wordpress.com)
- Censor (earthpages.wordpress.com)