James Dean (1931-55) was an American TV and film actor who starred in three major films: East of Eden (1955), Rebel Without a Cause (1955) and Giant (posthumously screened in 1956). He quickly became a symbol for tragic and rebellious youth and an icon for “cool” which lives this day.
In the same league as Humphrey Bogart and Marlon Brando, Dean’s stormy but vulnerable gaze, expressive postures and striking appearance make him a fascinating study. He apparently was a bisexual, which some say contributed to his mystique and widespread appeal (not unlike Rock Hudson and Cary Grant).
He met an untimely death in a car accident while breaking in a 1955 Porsche Spyder, which he bought for sports car races at Salinas, California.
Today, some compare Justin Bieber with James Dean.¹
- James Dean – Style Icon (waldina.com)
- what did james dean smoke (manuelchow1.typepad.com)
- Justin Bieber Channels James Dean in Sexy New Believe Pics (celebs.gather.com)
- Some Comparing Justin Bieber with the Late James Dean, Why? (celebs.gather.com)
- Retro Dude: James Dean – Effortlessly Hot (shedens.com)
- 30 James Dean-Inspired Looks – From Rugged Rebellion Editorials to Retro Hair Revivals (TrendHunter.com) (trendhunter.com)
- Marlon Brando Screen Tests for Rebel Without A Cause (1947) (openculture.com)
- Listen to Locnville’s new song “James Dean” (jasonvonberg.wordpress.com)
- New Rebel Without a Cause Movie (udeayyep.typepad.com)
- Download James Dean: The Mutant King: A Biography e-book (obauopok.typepad.com)