El is a word for God in Semitic languages occurring in the Old Testament about 200 times.
El also refers to the chief God within the Canaanite pantheon.
The plural of El is Elohim, although Elohim doesn’t always refer to a plural entity. In other words, El in the Bible refers to pagan gods and the God of the Israelites.
- Names of God: His Titles Revealed in Scripture » http://www.allaboutgod.com/names-of-god.htm
- Review: The Names of God Bible (GW) (exegete77.wordpress.com)
- אלוהים (Elohim) (eliezer40.com)
- Christian Book Review: The Names of God Bible (csahm.com)
- New Day, New Hope, New Song – El Shaddai (awakenyourpotential.wordpress.com)
- Names of God Study Summary (clayhearts.wordpress.com)