In the Hindu Ramayana, Hanuman is a Monkey-God and a great friend of humanity—at least, that part of humanity concerned to see justice and goodness overcome the forces of evil.
Hanuman accomplishes many heroic deeds. His main feat is to help Rama rescue Sita from the evil demon king, Ravana. Hanuman is also a manifestation of dharma (Skt. = right duty) and of the godhead itself.
Like the ancient Egyptians, Hindus often symbolize God and God’s ethics in animal form.
To this CrippLeD SaM adds:
Though is a Monkey-God, Hanuman is not the Chief of the Monkeys, this is Sugreev. He is Sugreev’s Minister, and some say he is the 11th Avatar of Shiva. As he saved the Life of Ramas Brother Laxman, people call him “Sankatamochana”, the one who takes away catastrophe. Helping him, he teared out the whole Mountain. So he is also the God of strength. If you are interested in Hanuman Pictures, Hanuman Music (Hanuman Chalisa Mp3), Texts and more, you can visit: http://hanumanji.wordpress.com. » Source
Depending on one’s perspective, representing God as a monkey is either progressive or misguided.
Those who see it as progressive would likely embrace shamanistic cultures where animals are taken as sacred.
Those seeing it as misguided would likely be adherents of the type of monotheism where One God can never be anything less than ultimate (e.g. Islam, Judaism, Sikhism), or they could be believers in the Christian idea of Trinitarian monotheism, where One God exists as three persons in The Father, The Son and The Holy Spirit.
- How did Ram meet Hanuman (wiki.answers.com)
- If it’s Tuesday, it must be Hanuman (theconfluencecountdown.com)
- Ramayana Told Through Pictures: Part 15 (socyberty.com)
- Ramayana Told Through Pictures: Part 10 (socyberty.com)
- ramayan uncensored (abhisheksardar.wordpress.com)
- Ramayana Told Through Pictures: Part 12 (socyberty.com)
- Ramayana Told Through Pictures: Part 16 (socyberty.com)
- Miracles in Kodaikan al- THE KANAYAZHI R ING (saiprema.wordpress.com)
- Why is hanuman worshipped (wiki.answers.com)
- Got 2 hours to devote to Hanuman? (theconfluencecountdown.com)