Living off wild insects and honey, the unshaven and long-haired John ranged through the countryside, full of the holy spirit, telling of the coming of the Messiah and the need for repentance.
John practiced and preached in the Qumran area. And according to the Gospels and the Jewish historian Josephus, he was beheaded by sword by Herod Antipas and his daughter Salome (21 BCE – 39 CE). Before his death, John had already been imprisoned by Herod for being critical of his lifestyle.
- Who executed John the Baptist (wiki.answers.com)
- St George’s Day and St John the Baptist’s Day in Ragusa (sicily10.wordpress.com)
- Salome: Biblical Temptress (relijournal.com)
- When neither the Gospel nor Josephus makes sense (vridar.wordpress.com)
- How does the beginning of Mark’s Gospel compare to the beginning of the other gospels (wiki.answers.com)
- The Gospel Triangle – Capernaum, Israel (travelpod.com)
- What was john the baptist beginning (wiki.answers.com)
- Matthew Chapter 14 (pofw.wordpress.com)
- Are You a Pagan Individual? (witchesofthecraft.wordpress.com)
- Mythicist Papers: Background to Christian Myths – a 3 day death, Nazarenes, the John the Baptist sect. . . . (vridar.wordpress.com)