Boy George (George Alan O’Dowd, 1961- )
In the 1980′s this lead vocalist from the pop group Culture Club followed David Bowie‘s lead by cross-dressing and generally combining big business with political statement.
The single “Karma Chameleon” touched on spiritual themes, as did his less commercially successful later work.
In the 21st century he remains an outspoken critic of figures like Madonna, although he’s virtually gone from an 80s big shot to a new millennium dark horse. In 2008 he served four months in prison for the assault and false imprisonment of Audun Carlsen.¹
I only mention George here because, in his day, he did have something to say.
- Boy George Is The Dharma Queen (noise11.com)
- What do Boy George and Mississippi in 1870 have in common? (southinpopculture.com)
- Boy George: My shock diet saved me from self-destruction (metro.co.uk)
- Boy George Takes On “I Wanna Be Your Dog” By The Stooges [Listen] (wxrt.cbslocal.com)
- Karma karma karma karma karma chameleon (blackmarketbabyblog.wordpress.com)
- Two Drawings of Boy George (expertspages.com)
- Boy George: lean, completely clean and ready for classy Meltdown (standard.co.uk)