Madonna was born Madonna Louise Ciccone in 1958.
Certainly not the Virgin Mary, this American international superstar was heralded in an MTV biography as the most popular and business-smart female pop star to date.
The star of a controversial music video, Like a Prayer (1989), in which she kisses a Christlike figure in a church, receives stigmata and dances in front of flaming crosses, Madonna advocates responsible sexuality (i.e. condoms), more for preventing AIDS than unwanted pregnancies.
Meanwhile, the Catholic Church that venerates the Madonna known as The Blessed Virgin Mary explicitly states that all forms of birth control are a sin. However, many question whether the Catholic Church’s teachings on human sexuality are conducive to a healthy society.
Apart from this somewhat heated issue, the pop star Madonna’s lyrics offer a voice for downtrodden women and perhaps men (“Don’t go for second best…”) and explore different types of awareness (“Let’s go unconscious…”).
More recently, Madonna has undertaken the Jewish-based mysticism of the Kabbala. And she continues to find herself in the midst of seemingly one controversy after another, mostly in relation to her use of symbols deemed sacred by many Christians.
Like many superstars, she’s started her own clothing line, “Material Girl” and is facing a lawsuit instigated by a California clothing company that claims it’s been using that name since 1997.
Search Think Free » Rock and Roll, Bowie (David), Boy George, Leo, “Madonna video ‘top rule-breaker’“ in BBC News, July 24, 2006.
- Madonna sued over “Material Girl” clothing line (omg.yahoo.com)
- Report: Madonna Offered $1 Billion Vegas Residency (towleroad.com)
- Madonna Accused of ‘Material Girl’ Theft (tmz.com)
- Madonna Sued Over Material Girl Clothing Line Name (stylelist.com)
- Madonna Coming Soon….To VEGAS?? (perezhilton.com)
- Madonna could be paid $1 billion to head to Vegas (hollywoodnews.com)
- ‘Material Girl’ lawsuit filed against Madonna (ontheredcarpet.com)
- Madonna Sued Over ‘Material Girl’ Brand (news.sky.com)
Add more, report errors or voice your opinion by posting a comment