As the Princess of Wales, Lady Diana Spencer (1961-1997) arguably became an enduring type of mythological figure. While critical media hype discredited her public persona as a mere chimera, another perspective sees her as an inspirational role model for human kindness, honesty and noble humility.
Diana took an active interest in AIDS victims and worked with the International Red Cross. Early in the Royal marriage, Lady Diana quickly overshadowed Prince Charles in the public eye. Charles’ princely decorum was eclipsed by her straight from the heart charm.
Apart from all the media attention surrounding Diana’s untimely death by car accident, one scholar claims she is a mere “footnote” in human history.
Sir Elton John was a close friend of Lady Diana. He and Bernie Taupin recast their song Candle in the Wind (formerly written for Marilyn Monroe on the 1973 lp Goodbye Yellow Brick Road) with new lyrics appropriate for Lady Diana’s televised funeral. The reimagined single is the best selling single record of all time. Sir Elton John has vowed never to play the song in public again, unless requested by Diana’s children.
- Earl Spencer names his new daughter Charlotte Diana after his beloved sister (standard.co.uk)
- Diana Princess Of Wales – Diana, Princess Of Wales’ Brother Names Daughter After Late Sister (contactmusic.com)
- One for every day of the week: Earl Spencer celebrates the birth of SEVENTH child and names William and Harry’s new cousin after their mother Princess Diana (dailymail.co.uk)
- Lady Gaga – Lady Gaga Causes Controversy With New Song About Princess Diana (contactmusic.com)
- Princess Diana Remembered: Earl Spencer Names New Baby After His Late Sister (celebuzz.com)
- Earl Spencer names daughter for Princess Diana (cbsnews.com)
- Prince Charles’ wedding toast for $350 (bigpondnews.com)
- Diana, Princess Of Wales’ brother names daughter after late sister (hollywood.com)
- Concorde picks up German rights to Naomi Watts’ “Diana” Lady Di biopic (panarmenian.net)
Sir Elton John (1947- ) is a British pop music star.
Elton John’s original name was Reginald Kenneth Dwight. Born in Pinner, Middlesex, Reginald played songs by ear on the piano at the age of 4 and took formal training at the Royal Academy of Music when 11.
As Elton John, his collaboration with lyricist Bernie Taupin flowered in the 1970′s with chart toppers like ‘Your Song’, ‘Rocket Man’, ‘Daniel’, ‘Honky Cat’, ‘Bennie and the Jets,’ ‘Goodbye Yellow Brick Road’ and ‘Don’t Let the Sun Go Down On Me.’
With a keen interest in Rugby, Elton at one time owned a British Football Club, eventually selling his shares to become its Life President.
He apparently began life as a shy person. Most biographers say his glamorous 1970′s stage image compensated for his inherent sensitivity. Others suggest he was hiding behind various – at that time outlandish – costumes and wigs while fighting an inner battle with drug addiction.
Likely both factors came into play. Elton apparently came close to suicide, at which time the journeyman musician Long John Baldry convinced him to quit drugs (‘Someone Saved My Life Tonight’).
After achieving international stardom, Elton publicly admitted to being bisexual, an admission that hurt his career for a while. But despite scathing comments from the press, he kept making albums. These didn’t do quite as well commercially until a comeback in 1992 with the album The One.
His remake of ‘Candle in the Wind’, performed with revised lyrics at Princess Diana‘s funeral, was the largest selling single in history one month after its release (The original 1973 song was about Marilyn Monroe).
He continues in the spotlight as an artist and icon for gay liberation, particularly since his much publicized same sex marriage to a long-time companion. Like Mick Jagger and Paul McCartney, he was knighted by the Queen of England in 1998 for “services to music and charitable services.” However, he’s shown marked distaste for organized religion.
More recently, Sir Elton John seems comfortable not having his new singles on the top 10 charts. He says his approach to making cds is more about an album concept instead of going for a hit. In other words, a slow burn instead of fireworks.
- Elton John Replica Red Piano on Display Sheenhans of Leicester (femaleimagination.wordpress.com)
- Elton rocks harder than Gaga (and Bono Bieber) (michaelthinks.typepad.com)
- One Night With Two Knights ‘Cliff and Elton’ Tour 2012 (femaleimagination.wordpress.com)
- Artwork Audi A1 up for charity sale (autonetinsurance.co.uk)
- Elton John “Crocodile Rock” (lezgetreal.com)
- Today In Music: Elton John’s ‘Captain Fantastic…’ Goes No.1 (wdok.radio.com)
- Elizabeth Hurley Granted Quick Divorce From Husband of Four Years (foxnews.com)
- Peter Andre crowned Dad of the Year for second year running (mirror.co.uk)
- Audi A1 artwork fetches £350,000 (autonetinsurance.co.uk)
- Liz Hurley and Arun Nayar granted ‘quickie’ divorce (telegraph.co.uk)