As the Princess of Wales, Lady Diana Spencer (1961-1997) arguably became an enduring type of mythological figure. While critical media hype discredited her public persona as a mere chimera, another perspective sees her as an inspirational role model for human kindness, honesty and noble humility.
Diana took an active interest in AIDS victims and worked with the International Red Cross. Early in the Royal marriage, Lady Diana quickly overshadowed Prince Charles in the public eye. Charles’ princely decorum was eclipsed by her straight from the heart charm.
Apart from all the media attention surrounding Diana’s untimely death by car accident, one scholar claims she is a mere “footnote” in human history.
Sir Elton John was a close friend of Lady Diana. He and Bernie Taupin recast their song Candle in the Wind (formerly written for Marilyn Monroe on the 1973 lp Goodbye Yellow Brick Road) with new lyrics appropriate for Lady Diana’s televised funeral. The reimagined single is the best selling single record of all time. Sir Elton John has vowed never to play the song in public again, unless requested by Diana’s children.
- Earl Spencer names his new daughter Charlotte Diana after his beloved sister (standard.co.uk)
- Diana Princess Of Wales – Diana, Princess Of Wales’ Brother Names Daughter After Late Sister (contactmusic.com)
- One for every day of the week: Earl Spencer celebrates the birth of SEVENTH child and names William and Harry’s new cousin after their mother Princess Diana (dailymail.co.uk)
- Lady Gaga – Lady Gaga Causes Controversy With New Song About Princess Diana (contactmusic.com)
- Princess Diana Remembered: Earl Spencer Names New Baby After His Late Sister (celebuzz.com)
- Earl Spencer names daughter for Princess Diana (cbsnews.com)
- Prince Charles’ wedding toast for $350 (bigpondnews.com)
- Diana, Princess Of Wales’ brother names daughter after late sister (hollywood.com)
- Concorde picks up German rights to Naomi Watts’ “Diana” Lady Di biopic (panarmenian.net)