Commander Data is an android science officer played by actor Brent Spiner aboard the starship Enterprise in the science fiction television series Star Trek: The Next Generation.
Data’s character evolves during the course of the series. At first he’s mostly an amusing and capable robot, much like C3PO in the original Star Wars film. As the story cycle evolves, however, we see Data wondering who he is, what it’s like to have feelings, parents, children and if he would enjoy sex.
Through various tricks and turns Data eventually experiences human emotions and activities, to become a sort of mythic representative for the idea of AI rights, a theme followed up by the holographic doctor in Star Trek: Voyager.
This might seem fanciful today but as computer technology advances at warp speed, in the not-too-distant future ethical concerns about AI could be headline news. We see this possibility in the science-fiction classic 2001: A Space Odyssey, which illustrates the potential dangers of an intelligent machine (the HAL 9000 computer) gone wrong.
- Why Star Trek’s Vision of the Future is Out of Date [Star Trek] (io9.com)
- No Need for Phasers, Stun your friends with Star Trek Email Skins (prweb.com)
- Commander Data … Are You Awake? (aeriscto.wordpress.com)
- Warehouse 13 Returns with Sci-Fi Icon, Brent Spiner (lezgetreal.com)
- Star Trek: The Next Generation Season One Blu-ray beams down July 24th (engadget.com)
- Star Trek The Next Generation Comes to Blu-Ray this July (geeksyndicate.wordpress.com)
- A Million Dollar Experiment: Star Trek? (gamingpa1985.com)
- SyFy’s ‘Warehouse 13′ Will Add Some Mysterious Data this Season With Guest Star Brent Spiner of ‘Star Trek: The Next Generation’ (tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com)
- Warehouse 13 Returns with Sci-Fi Icon, Brent Spiner (pinkbananaworld.com)
- ‘Star Trek’ Brent Spiner joins ‘Warehouse 13′ (digitalspy.co.uk)