Michelangelo (di Lodovico Buonarroti Simoni 1475-1564) was an Italian sculptor and painter also known for his poetry.
Born in Tuscany, Michelangelo was closely affiliated with the Christian Church and was commissioned for several works. His most celebrated works are the marble David, sculpted in Florence and the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel in Rome, which he painted from 1508 to 1512 while commissioned by Pope Julius II.
Scholars have variously tried to peg his work as Neoplatonic to homoerotic. But such facile pigeonholing probably tells us more about the pedants who study him instead of his multifaceted genius.
Michelangelo said that while sculpting he simply removed the stone that hid the figure already within, an idea containing deep and far-reaching philosophical implications.
Search Think Free » Causality
- Michelangelo found behind sofa in Buffalo, NY (americablog.com)
- New York Family May Own Michelangelo Painting (shoppingblog.com)
- Michelangelo painting in a U.S. living room? (thestar.com)
- Family thinks it has Michelangelo painting (cnn.com)
- Michelangelo painting in US living room? (thestar.com)
- Painting from NY home may be Michelangelo (today.msnbc.msn.com)
- Michelangelo’s American Pieta (socyberty.com)
- Michelangelo’s Color Palette ColorTherapy (apartmenttherapy.com)
- Michelangelo drawings on display in Vienna (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- $300m ‘Michelangelo painting’ found behind sofa (telegraph.co.uk)
Add more, report errors or voice your opinion by posting a comment