Masochism is a Freudian term denoting a sexual perversion in which a person says they become sexually aroused and enjoy it when another person inflicts pain on them.
While this phenomenon was once entirely underground, a fairly recent Canadian TV documentary revealed that some people believe they are doing nothing wrong by spanking or being spanked for a fee in a controlled situation.
Typically a client takes a submissive, bound posture while a ‘dominatrix’, usually dressed in black leather, spanks them on the exposed buttocks.
The practice might possibly involve unresolved psychological complexes caused by early abuse mingled with a mythic fascination with the aggressive or perhaps evil side of medieval history (e.g. warfare, exploitation, torture).
Meanwhile, several court cases can be found on the web where people are being legally charged for such activities taking place in what is technically called a ‘common bawdy house.’
Search Think Free » Anima, Koan, Sadism, Turning Against the Self
Charles Rycroft, A Critical Dictionary of Psychoanalysis, Harmondsworth: Penguin 1977, p. 88.
- Culinary Masochism: The Pain of Peppers [The Thoughtful Animal] (scienceblogs.com)
- Review | Theatre | Wanderlust | Royal Court | Michael Billington (guardian.co.uk)
- LibLink: Stephen Tall on how to cure Lib Dem masochism (libdemvoice.org)
- Beat Takeshi Hates Games, Computers And Email (What About Twitter?) [Beat Takeshi] (kotaku.com)
- The Giving Tree Learns a Lesson (pinkbananaworld.com)
- Is Persistence a Turn-On and Is That a Bad Thing? (marieclaire.com)
- Order Restored As (Nazi?) Prison Orgy Exec Wins Lawsuit [Sex Scandals] (gawker.com)
- Fetish Progress: Sex, shoes & why masochism may not be healthy (nowpublic.com)
- SL Letter of the Day: Before the Bondage Workshop (slog.thestranger.com)
- NV-Sen: Before Sharron Angle was a Republican … (dailykos.com)
Add more, report errors or voice your opinion by posting a comment